Solutions in Mind
Living with trauma 24/7 2015 Conference
(Helping professionals understand by giving carers a voice)
Bristol City Centre: Venue to be confirmed 23rd September 2015
Andrew Rogers is a Consultant Clinical & Forensic Psychologist and has over 18 years experience working with young people (and their families) with a history of high-risk behaviour, including serious offending.
Andrew has spent much of his career supporting the carers of looked after children (and in particular adolescents) to provide attuned, attachment and trauma informed care.
He is of the belief that we need to redefine our notion of what therapy looks like and that foster carers, not ‘expert’ therapists, are the primary facilitators of change for the children in their care.
Andrew will be supported in his presentation by foster carers he currently provides consultations for and will:
- Promote understanding of the impact of early attachment experiences and trauma on young people and the wider implications for the developing brain, emotions and high-risk behaviour.
- Provide a foster carers perspective on what ‘helps’ in terms of psychological support.
- Generate discussion as to the future direction of ‘therapeutic’ services for young people who have experienced trauma. http://www.changingmindsuk.com/DrA.html
Sally Twigger is a foster carer and a Theraplay Associate Therapist and will share:
- her transformation from ‘a mother to a therapeutic parent’;
- the effects of caring for the traumatised child on the parenting brain;
- her experiences of using Theraplay to support children in her care and integrating PACE into family life.
Montana Twigger: belongs to a fostering family and will share her experiences of having a foster child share her home, her parents and her life!
Montana’s story will provide participants with an in depth insight into the highs and lows that can be experienced by birth children in fostering families.
Extended lunch break!
Delegates at last year’s conference appreciated the extended lunch break which enabled them to network; share ideas and contact details.
Therefore we will once again have an extended lunch break to enable delegates to mingle. We will also be providing agencies with an opportunity to promote their services.
Contact Craig Wilkinson at email@example.com for tickets and further information.